DNA Bank/Database Milestone
The Samoyed Breed is the first AKC Breed to establish a DNA repository for the storage of the DNA of all Samoyeds and the on-line collection of anonymous, accurate, statistical data that can be reported to the public.
The information provided by owners into the DNA Bank/Database will reflect a statistical cross- section of the entire breed. The benefits it can provide to our owners and the breed are:
- Data of all Samoyeds will document the actual state of the breed.
- Statistical data will reveal clues to correlations between phenotypes/environmental factors/traits associated with disorders that can be of immediate use to breeders and research investigators.
- The database includes the collection of information on areas that have never been fully been documented, i.e., environmental factors, vaccinations, dietary habits, breed traits, and phenotype. This type of statistical data has never been previously available to owners or research investigators.
- The database will track and report to the public statistical data on the adverse reactions Samoyeds have to specific drugs, products and vaccinations, so that owners and veterinarians can make decisions regarding the advisability of using them on their Samoyeds.
- The database will report cause of death statistics. Tracking the cause of death will help identify secondary conditions, which owners need to be aware of, as well as, the rise or decline of disorders within the breed.